Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-04-01)

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:04:00 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Ian Malone  wrote:

> I originally missed this line in Rahul's email:
> > Other apps can use the compatibility layer called XWayland."
>
> But did read his reply to Lee:
> >> Hm, not really useful when it doesn`t work with existing WMs ...
> > That would be the responsibility of the WM's themselves.
>
> Which might have been better reiterating the point about the
> compatibility layer.

Reiterating doesn't help much when people jump to conclusions rather than
read through the details which are widely available online but in any case,
the compatibility layer is primary designed for running X apps that haven't
migrated over but window managers are rather special and tend to use very
specific functionality from X rather than rely mostly on abstraction layer
via GTK or Qt which themselves can work with Wayland.  So they really
should be ported over and that is the responsibility of the WM developers.
You could in theory be running a full desktop environment over the
compatibility layer but it isn't a good idea since performance will likely
suffer and it isn't designed for that.

Rahul