Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Fri Apr 18 06:33:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-01 00:00, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/31/2014 09:01 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
>> I use a basic /home on the root drive with each users directory mounted
>> to their username mount point.
>
> So each user has their own partition?  Do you also use LVM so that you
> can create/resize or remove them as needed?  That's an interesting idea.

No, I don't use LVM.  Had a drive issue with LVM a few years ago and it
was a nightmare to get around.  Turned me off of LVM since.  Know others
that have also been burned by LVM.

With the costs of drives today, I just provide LOTS of space.  If they
need more, then I add more in a sub directory that they need it in.

Small system, few users, not a major management problem.

It is easy to move to a new/different partition if needed.

Using this technique and pam_mount, you can also setup, per user
encrypted partitions.  Extra security if needed.

I have been using this idea for over 10 years and other than an LVM
headache, it has been no problem.

Robin