Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

c. marlow chris at marlows.org
Tue Apr 1 12:49:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 22:01 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> On 2014-03-28 10:54, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Paul Cartwright wrote:

> >> I came from Debian recently with Fedora 20. I was told to use the net
> >> install ISO, I did. I have windows and another linux distro installed
> >> and used manual partitioning without a problem. I have 2 drives and used
> >> my existing /home on drive A and installed Fedora on drive B. works fine.
> >>
> > I can only say that I am in awe of your ability to do this using the
> > installer. After many attempts to get this working, I have taken to
> > install with a dummy user, then edit fstab to get the /home mount, then
> > mounting, then adding the user(s) with the UID they need to have and
> > using the existing home directory for each.
> >

> Practice, mistakes and crossed fingers.  :)
>
> It can be done but you have to be careful about it.  I find that it is
> easier to install a base system and then modify the mount points as
> needed.  As I use pam_mount for [users] home directories, this makes
> some aspects easier.  That is a post install configuration anyways.
>

> I use a basic /home on the root drive with each users directory mounted
> to their username mount point.

I agree as a first time Fedora user, coming from Kubuntu I found the
graphical installer of F20 a bit puzzling. because coming in it saw that
I had Kubuntu already installed and had a big ! over the partitioning
and I had to click on it then click on my hard disk then click the back
button at the upper left corner to go back to the main installation
screen.

first time it didnt take my selection to erace the whole hdd... I had to
message saying not enough space then I clicked blindly the use
basic /home setup. and hoped for the best :X

Christopher