Fedora *is* for servers! [was Re: Need advice]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 18 15:02:20 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 18 April 2014, Matthew Miller sent:
> Fedora is not a desktop-only OS, and can be (and *is*) used in many
> serious server contexts, even in production. You need to know what
> you're getting into and be willing to cope with the 13-month lifecycle
> and community support model, but it's a perfectly awesome fit for many
> uses

It's a perfectly horrid model for running services.  With each change in
release, you don't just have to update the OS and software, but you've
got to migrate all your data, too.  Moving databases can be a nightmare,
more so if the next release has deprecated the server that you were
using, going beyond a backup and restore, now you have to deal with a
translation.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.