Fedora *is* for servers! [was Re: Need advice]

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 16:00:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Dave Ihnat <dihnat at dminet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 12:40:40AM -0400, David wrote:
>> My question is/was "And yet you are still 'here'?" Bitching about Fedora?
>>
>> If you do not 'like Fedora' I would suggest that you find some other
>> distro of Linux that you do. And leave this list. And? Join the list(s)
>> of your latest Linux darling and sing your love there.
>
> Please, people, remember:
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI
>
> I'm not currently running Fedora, either--it's just not in the mix for
> the five frankenstations and the server that I use for home and business
> right now.  But I've been in the field since I got my degree in '76--that's
> almost 40 years now, if you're counting--in Unix since 1980, and Linux
> since it was born.  If there's one thing I've most certainly learned
> is that no matter what it is, it's worth keeping an eye on it.  I keep
> track of software and systems I may never use--because, as a consultant,
> I never know when it'll show up.
>
> So I read this list, yes, and sometimes I might even be able to help
> someone.

Hi Dave and everyone else who may not currently be a Fedora user on
this list. Participating here and elsewhere makes you part of the
Fedora community and a welcome part of it. As another old guy on the
list let me shoot Dave a big thank you for cut and paste. Not much
code lasts as long as that has and still retains its usefulness. I
can't imagine the volume of data touched by these programs over the
years but I do know they made my computing experience better.

On the topic of using Fedora for servers I'll just say consider your
choices and pick what works best for you. For most servers that won't
be Fedora, but for some it will. Here is one high profile example from
a few years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Roadrunner

John