Notification area audio widget suddenly invisible on Fedora LXDE spin

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:37:30 UTC 2014

On 19.04.2014 04:37, Someone wrote:
> Hi poma,
>
> I don't mean to be rude, but is English not your first language? It
> would help me a lot if you could annotate your commands and codes more
> with some explanatory prose. For example, I couldn't really figure out
> what you meant by...

It has to do with your engagement, not with the language per se, dear
Someone. :)

>     $ paplay
>
> ...at first, since I just ran it and it said "Failed to open audio
> file." Then I realized that it's probably some sort of substitute for
> "aplay", and ran it with the wav file as its argument.
>
> In any case, I have no idea whether you expected it to work as opposed
> to the "aplay" version, but it didn't.

If you use the PulseAudio sound server, it is one way to test it.

Enlighten yourself with
man 1 paplay

> Also, I'm not sure what you meant by linking me to the youtube video,
> but the image I booted from when my audio worked was this one:
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/20/Live/x86_64/Fedora-Live-LXDE-x86_64-20-1.iso

That specific live image probably has relatively outdated version of the
kernel.
Does this help us in finding solution?

> I don't know the first thing about upgrading or changing kernels, or
> installing new versions like rawhide. Would I lose all my installed
> applications and user data?

I can not answer that question.

> Is there any way to upgrade without having to make a new live usb
> installer stick, some on-line method of upgrading?

Are you eager to test the audio device with the latest available rawhide
nodebug kernel, on your own responsibility?

BTW what is the output of the following command:
uname -a

poma