reading adobe comments on pdf using OSS on F20

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Thu Apr 24 08:15:30 UTC 2014

Am 23.04.2014 20:23, schrieb Chris Murphy:

> On Apr 22, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Ranjan Maitra
> <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:52:52 +0200 Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I receive quite often .pdf files containing comments. Evince
>>> reads them properly. Okular can be very slow sometimes, even
>>> stuck in the middle of a large .pdf. I've never encountered that
>>> with Evince.
>>>

>> Thanks very much to everyone who answered. I use zathura (which did
>> not have these feature, as does not xpdf) but I will try evince. I
>> don't want to try out okular if I can help it because it will
>> install 257 MB
>
> For what it's worth (trivia!), on OS X, the Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.1.9
> version executable is 826MB. This does not include a bunch of shared
> libraries located elsewhere in the file system. And by default it has
> "open in 32-bit mode" checked; so part of the reason why it's so huge
> is that this application is "universal" in that it contains both
> 32-bit and 64-bit binaries; but still 32-bit is the default. I
> haven't tried 64-bit, I'm going to guess that it's 32-bit by default
> in order to support the array of 3rd party plugins with least
> resistance.
>

> Chris Murphy

The ability to exchange annotated PDF files is essential for my everyday
work as a professional book editor (now being retired and working
freelance) and one of the main reasons to stick to Windows.
So I tried to find out a bit further some options that I have in Linux:

*Adobe Reader*: The latest version Adobe offers to Linux users is 9.5.5
(btw, it's a rather huge download as well: 60 MB + 140 MB of
dependencies). It reads all kinds of annotations, but I found no way to
edit them or create new ones. There seems to be an option to activate a
"Comment & Markup Toolbar", but that didn't work for me.

*Evince*: Annotations are visible, but you can only open and read
"sticky notes", no "highlighted text notes" or "strikethrough text
notes", which are very important for my work. No possibility to edit
anything.

*Okular*: For me, it comes closer to what recent windows versions of the
Adobe Reader have: It reads all kinds of annotations, you can edit them
and you can add new ones which can be stored in a copy of the PDF file
and which are read by Adobe Reader. But Okulars's annotation tools are
different from those offered by Adobe Reader.
As to the download size: It's a KDE application, so if you are on eg
XFCE you have to download a bunch of additional libraries together with
Okular.
Klaus