reading adobe comments on pdf using OSS on F20

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 24 08:33:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:

> Am 23.04.2014 20:23, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> >
> > On Apr 22, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Ranjan Maitra
> > <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks very much to everyone who answered. I use zathura (which did
> > > not have these feature, as does not xpdf) but I will try evince. I
> > > don't want to try out okular if I can help it because it will
> > > install 257 MB
> >
> > For what it's worth (trivia!), on OS X, the Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.1.9
> > version executable is 826MB. This does not include a bunch of shared
> > libraries located elsewhere in the file system. And by default it has
> > "open in 32-bit mode" checked; so part of the reason why it's so huge
> > is that this application is "universal" in that it contains both
> > 32-bit and 64-bit binaries; but still 32-bit is the default. I
> > haven't tried 64-bit, I'm going to guess that it's 32-bit by default
> > in order to support the array of 3rd party plugins with least
> > resistance.
> >

> > Chris Murphy
>
> The ability to exchange annotated PDF files is essential for my
> everyday work as a professional book editor (now being retired and
> working freelance) and one of the main reasons to stick to Windows.
> So I tried to find out a bit further some options that I have in
> Linux:

  i went down the same road and eventually gave up, paid for PDF
studio from qoppa.com, and have been happy ever since. i do exactly
what you do -- exchange annotated files for the purpose of
proofreading/editing, and no one i've ever exchanged with has ever
complained.

  i have no financial interest in PDF studio, i just gave up trying to
find an OSS solution that didn't suck.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca