Disable whatever is cleaning /tmp

benfell at parts-unknown.org benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sat Apr 26 00:08:48 UTC 2014

Joe Zeff writes:

> On 04/25/2014 04:36 PM, benfell at parts-unknown.org wrote:
>>
>> And this is at a relatively slack time. I'm not noticing impaired
>> performance right now:
>>
>> [root at munich]/etc/ejabberd# free -m
>>               total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:          3254       3128        125          1          9        151
>> -/+ buffers/cache:       2967        286
>> Swap:         9486       5032       4454
>
> I've always disliked throwing somebody else's money at a problem, but I
> do have to ask: is it practical for you to upgrade your RAM?  If your
> computer can handle more than 4GB and you don't want to do a complete
> re-install to go to a 64-bit system, you can always do what I did:
> install a PAE kernel (if you don't already have one) because that allows
> a 32-bit system to access up to 64 BG of RAM. The process is quite
> simple and I'd be glad to walk you through it if and when you need it.

It's already a 64-bit system. I am hoping and expecting to be able to
increase the RAM later this year. But I can't, yet: It's a dedicated server
in Munich that I'm renting month-to-month and I have to be able to swing
the rent. ;-)

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the