how to disable tmpfs

Dennis Kaptain dennis.kaptain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 16:16:54 UTC 2014

> Once upon a time, Dennis Kaptain <dennis.kaptain at gmail.com> said:
>> While lurking on the list, I learned in a thread "Cannot make a copy
>> of video DVD with k3b" that the way fedora is configured, tmpfs will
>> consume 50% of my RAM and mount itself in /tmp. If you have gobs of
>> RAM I suppose you'd never miss it unless you are doing serious video
>> editing or something like that.
>
> There's a lot of misinformation about this.  The tmpfs does _not_
> "consume 50% of [your] RAM".  The maximum size of a tmpfs defaults to
> 50% of RAM, but it only uses space as needed.  Also, space used in tmpfs
> can be pushed to swap (so if you run low on RAM, files in tmpfs will be
> pushed out to swap on disk to free up RAM for programs).
>
> --
> Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>
> --

Thanks for clearing that up Chris.

It still doesn't seem like an ideal way to handle /tmp when I have a
perfectly good partition and swapping is a major performance killer.
I'd rather disk access wait time is caused by accessing /tmp when I
need to rather than swapping tmpfs in and out for a program.

Is there a way to totally disable tmpfs and keep / read-write?