High CPU usage, load average and system temperature

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:40:10 UTC 2014

On 08/25/2014 10:21 AM, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My system temperature seems to be very high these days along with CPU usage
> and load average. Chrome, Eclipse, etc. seems to be misbehaving but I am not
> able to pin point the problem. Chrome usage skyrockets whenever I am browsing
> multimedia rich websites even like Google+ (those gifs). VLC seems also to
> cause a lot of these problems.
>
> I am posting a bunch of screenshots of top. If any of you could help me figure
> out the problem that would be awesome.
>
> http://imgur.com/bT29xZ7,BZAnXSd,RQoq3Nl,30tlOBE,fn7ubo4,yvqLFCd,i8F1XOu,GRRY39O#0
>
> Fans are working fine. The system concerned is Thinkpad T420i. I am running
> Fedora 20 KDE.

Before we jump to system software issues, I would
1. Check to be sure the cpu fan is functioning and running
     at full speed. On my system I always disabled speed control
     because I wanted to keep the cpu running cool with or without
     heavy loads.
2. Check to be sure the the Graphics chip cpy is also running and at
     full speed.

Cheers,

JD