ext4 error messages

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Aug 27 02:44:06 UTC 2014

On Aug 23, 2014, at 6:54 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/23/2014 04:02 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/23/2014 02:38 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>>>
>>> I am getting ext4 errors for that device (/dev/sdb3 which is only
>>> mounted partition on that drive),
>>> and even getting ext4 errors on /dev/sda3 which is the root partition.
>>
>> I took a quick look at the errors and really don't like all those mentions of inodes that are doubly allocated.  Have you tried using fsck on the partition?
> So, it is not clear to me why there are all these errors, especially since ext4 is supposed
> to, by design, protect metadata's integrity in the face of such HW problems (which I
> am unsure what those HW problems are).

Well, no filesystem is impervious to hardware problems. Even if you have metadata and journal checksumming enabled, which isn't a default still, there is no guarantee.

Gist is, simple mount option -o journal_checksum for journal checksumming. For full metadata checksumming you need e2fsprogs 1.43. Current in F21 is 1.42.11-2, and it doesn't support mkfs.ext4 -O metadata_csum,64bit.

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Metadata_Checksums

Chris Murphy