su - Authentication failure - reinstall fedora ?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Aug 31 20:43:39 UTC 2014

On Aug 30, 2014, at 8:46 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> That sound like the typical USB keyboard problem, that the BIOS can read
> the USB keyboard quite early, but the next thing cannot.  Once the
> computer has booted it has drivers loaded to read the USB keyboard, and
> it works.  I had to change some USB legacy options in my BIOS to get the
> keyboard working within GRUB (it's about time the all-singing,
> all-dancing, allegedly wonderful GRUB got patched up so that it could
> read an USB keyboard that has virtually been the norm for about a
> decade, by now).

I don't think grub2-install or grub2-mkconfig are calling for a USB driver to be loaded by default. It's relatively recent code, maybe a couple years at the most? What's increasingly happening on UEFI systems is that USB isn't being initialized, in favor of faster boot times. This means you can't get to the firmware's configuration menu either. The way this is expected to be done, is executing a user space application to enable setup mode on the next boot.

>> Can be that the actual installation is not good.. ?
>> (also I am not able to login as root ... the message that I get is
>> "login incorrect").
>
> More likely your original presumption, that there's a password mismatch.
> I really don't go in for these peculiar mixed character and symbol
> passwords, they're too prone to technical and typing error.  And I don't
> think they add the security that people think they do.
>
> If your password is going to be a leetspeak version of your dog's name,
> that's just as insecure as using your dog's named typed normally.

For now, longer is better. Diceware is recommending 6 word passphrases.

Chris Murphy