Mounting HFS+

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Dec 8 01:07:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know that this comes up every now and then but I have this peculiar
> situation that my unjournaled hfs+ volume mounts as read only sometimes and
> read-write sometimes. A reboot does not help immediately, but after a while
> it's read-writeable again.
>
> I'm mounting with:
>
> mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw /dev/sda2 /media

All of my non-journaled HFS+ volumes always mount rw by default
without using any mount options. Some were made with Linux
mkfs.hfsplus and others were made with OS X's newfs_hfs using only -v.
There are no revealing kernel messages? It might be worth doing a full
sequence of fsck using Apple's fsck if you have it handy:
fsck_hfs -fy <rawdevice, i.e. /dev/rdisk0s2>
fsck_hfs -r <rawdevice>
fsck_hfs -Re <rawdevice>
fsck_hfs -Ra <rawdevice>

That rebuilds all btrees. My only past experience with forced read
only filesystems (xfs and btrfs) is when I had partially broken them.

--
Chris Murphy