getting rid of yum

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:23:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:46:53 +0000
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 10:34 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Because (from what I understood, perhaps incorrectly) yum is going
> > away in favor dnf, I was trying to get used to the latter. Because
> > the former is so ingrained in me, I was trying to get rid of it
> > from the system so that not having it available would force me to
> > think and thus get used to dnf.
>
> Or you could alias yum to "echo Use DNF"

My understanding is that the name "dnf" is just a dummy placeholder,
so that --- once its code matures enough and the old yum code gets
obsolete --- "dnf" will simply be renamed to "yum", and its major
version number increased by a notch.

So the name "yum" isn't going anywhere, AFAIK.

Best, :-)
Marko