getting rid of yum

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 08:24:36 UTC 2014

On 15. 12. 2014 at 17:23:48, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:46:53 +0000
>
> Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 10:34 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > > Because (from what I understood, perhaps incorrectly) yum is going
> > > away in favor dnf, I was trying to get used to the latter. Because
> > > the former is so ingrained in me, I was trying to get rid of it
> > > from the system so that not having it available would force me to
> > > think and thus get used to dnf.
> >
> > Or you could alias yum to "echo Use DNF"
>
> My understanding is that the name "dnf" is just a dummy placeholder,
> so that --- once its code matures enough and the old yum code gets
> obsolete --- "dnf" will simply be renamed to "yum", and its major
> version number increased by a notch.
>
> So the name "yum" isn't going anywhere, AFAIK.

Actually it's the exact opposite, dnf is going to continue being the project
name, as renaming it would cause nothing but pain. The discussion about the
name took place about a year ago on Fedora devel list if you are interested.
You can also find some explanation about the name here:

http://dnf.baseurl.org/2014/03/12/on-the-name/

Thanks
Jan