Gnome & Yumex : Is there a way ...

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 18:41:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:32:44 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 20:40 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	I'm busily weighing Mate and xfce4 against my uses; with luck, I
>> may eventually need only a rock-bottom few Gnome apps. Is there any way
>> to eliminate the rest of Gnome by the shovelful instead of one app at a
>> time with Yumex?
>
> Just don't install the Gnome "product". Set up your system as you like
> it, then use yum to add any Gnome apps you specifically want. They will
> still drag in a certain amount of libraries etc. of course.

	Unfortunately, at least three of my machines are already running
F21 -- by virtue of fedup. So there are an unknown (but fairly large)
number of .rpms on them that used to be sine qua non, and are now cruft.
On the older ones in particular, I think I can gain significant space if
I can sweep all that neo-cruft away.

	Aside to Rick Stevens: just as I used to use a few KDE apps in
Gnome2, I think I'm now going to use a few nice ones from Mate in xfce4,
or maybe even vice-versa. Try it; you'll like it.
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.