Gnome & Yumex : Is there a way ...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 20:02:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-12-21 at 18:41 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:32:44 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 20:40 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >> 	I'm busily weighing Mate and xfce4 against my uses; with luck, I
> >> may eventually need only a rock-bottom few Gnome apps. Is there any way
> >> to eliminate the rest of Gnome by the shovelful instead of one app at a
> >> time with Yumex?
> >
> > Just don't install the Gnome "product". Set up your system as you like
> > it, then use yum to add any Gnome apps you specifically want. They will
> > still drag in a certain amount of libraries etc. of course.
>
> 	Unfortunately, at least three of my machines are already running
> F21 -- by virtue of fedup. So there are an unknown (but fairly large)
> number of .rpms on them that used to be sine qua non, and are now cruft.
> On the older ones in particular, I think I can gain significant space if
> I can sweep all that neo-cruft away.

If you add clean_requirements_on_remove=1 to /etc/yum.conf and then yum
erase whatever looks superfluous then yum will clean up a lot of cruft.

> 	Aside to Rick Stevens: just as I used to use a few KDE apps in
> Gnome2, I think I'm now going to use a few nice ones from Mate in xfce4,
> or maybe even vice-versa. Try it; you'll like it.

I did tentatively try it once but I need some Gnome stuff for Evolution
and it too much effort to get all the ducks in a row. I'm reasonably
happy with KDE now as I have a fast machine.

poc