Congrats on F21. fedup worked great!

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Dec 25 22:04:34 UTC 2014

On 12/25/2014 06:08 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-12-24 at 07:07 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Fedora, in my opinion have stupidly, made the debug kernel version the
>> default kernel (and I haven't found any info from net searches on how
>> to change this so that with any future upgrades of the kernel the
>> default kernel will always be the non-debug version.
> Is Fedora 21 still using /etc/default/grub for regenerating each grub
> menu?  If so, change the GRUB_DEFAULT= clause to your preference, then
> regenerate the config file.
>
> [tim at fluffy ~]$ cat /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
> GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
> GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) quiet"
> GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
Thanks for the reply Tim. F21 is still using /etc/default/grub and I
have GRUB_DEFAULT=saved in that file already, but it makes no
difference. All that parameter seems to do is write the kernel file name
out to an external file and does not change the top level kernel entry
in grub.cfg nor in the mbr.
I don't understand enough about the script files used by grub to
determine how the script settles on the debug kernel as the default,
other than when you issue ls /boot the debug kernel is the last one listed.

regards,
Steve