Text selection and mouse button sensitivity

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 2 18:04:18 UTC 2014

hi tim,

On 02/02/2014 07:59 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 01 February 2014, g sent:
>> get a thumb marble and you can forget about having cord problems.
>>
>> you can forget about keeping a "mouse arena" cleared also. which
>> is one of many reason i got a thumb marble.
>
> Or a cordless mouse...  The usual wireless ones are a pain, you have
> to keep on replacing or recharging batteries, and resyncing hardware
> (the transmitter and receiver pair).  There's another type (that I'd
> like to try), where the mouse pad plugs into the computer, and you
> use an unpowered mouse above the pad.  Since the mouse pad isn't
> moved, it should have a long life.

sounds like a good idea, but i would imagine it might have a high price.

> I have to keep resoldering the buttons in my mice, as they get dry
> joints and become unreliable, due to mechanical stress.  Either
> through normal use, or mice that get dropped off the table and fall
> on their buttons.  Mind you, I'm talking about mice that I've used
> for many years, other people might just buy a new mouse every couple
> of years.  I don't like being that wasteful

i have yet to have to do any maintenance on my thumb marble, other
than removing marble and cleaning lint from the 3 support points the
marble/ball rolls on. it is easy to do and takes less than a minute.

thumb marble i have is a logitech trackman marble, which i bought
about a year after they came out, over 20 years ago. 2nd generation
of this style had scroll wheel.

3rd gen is wireless, programmable buttons, and now called 'trackball'.

   http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

once you try one you will never go back to regular 'move around'
mouse. i have converted at least 10 people to them.

what i find convenient is you move only your thumb to move pointer,
do not have to raise and reposition a mouse to move a long distance,
it just sits waiting to be use, and if you are working with a bunch
of papers or books, i will sit on top of them and still work.

if this one ever dies, i will most definitely buy the wireless model.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.