sound works randomly?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 12:27:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 13:07:51 -0500
Tom Horsley wrote:

> but if I run
> mplayer or youtube in google-chrome, I still get no sound.

I've been doing more experiments. I made a brand new user
and logged in as him. He can get sound from mplayer and
youtube, but only when logging into a gnome session.

If I login to a KDE session, I can't get any sound from
anything (perhaps because I simply can't find the volume
control in KDE and everything is muted?)

Since I new user worked, I tried moving my .config
directory in my original user and logging in with a
blank .config, but I still get no sound in mplayer.

It is still totally mysterious.