sound works randomly?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Feb 5 12:47:27 UTC 2014

On 02/05/14 20:27, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 13:07:51 -0500
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> but if I run
>> mplayer or youtube in google-chrome, I still get no sound.
> I've been doing more experiments. I made a brand new user
> and logged in as him. He can get sound from mplayer and
> youtube, but only when logging into a gnome session.
>
> If I login to a KDE session, I can't get any sound from
> anything (perhaps because I simply can't find the volume
> control in KDE and everything is muted?)
>
> Since I new user worked, I tried moving my .config
> directory in my original user and logging in with a
> blank .config, but I still get no sound in mplayer.
>
> It is still totally mysterious.

I don't recall seeing any mention of your system's sound capabilities.  In my case of I have 2 potential sound outputs one is a built-in "Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio" while the other is "Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 HDMI Audio Controller" located on my Graphics card...which is disconnected.

I use KDE.  As such, to ensure I get sound under KDE I would have to bring up "systemsettings" go to "Multimedia--->Audio and Video Settings and ensure that "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" is at the top of the preference list for the playback.  If HDMI is at the top, no sound....of course.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts