Is there any way to kill the process which went to uninterruptible sleep (D) state??

Kevin Peterson qh.resu01 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 15:43:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

Is there any way to kill the process which went to uninterruptible sleep (D) state due of some reason without rebooting machine??

I observed one of the process went to D-state during performance runs. Now, not able to kill the process using pkill or kill commands? Finally, we have to reboot the Linux machine.

Can anyone helps me out for this situation?? I don't want to reboot the machine.

We can kill the Zombie (Z) process but not able to kill process which is in D-state.

Thanks,
Kevin Peterson