Fedora 19 Freezes

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Feb 7 21:27:23 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 11:25 AM, linuxnutster at videotron.ca issued this missive:
> I have been getting a lot of freezes in Fedora 19, usually once the
> screensaver kicks in for a while, but also at the login prompt and when
> using firefox. The most recent freeze involved the screensaver. It
> simply locked up with the screensaver image frozen and still visible.
> The mouse cursor was locked and there was no activity. I ran a memtest
> and hard drive tests and everything came back fine.
>
> I do remember seeing several ABRT messages regarding the nvidia driver
> I'm using being a proprietary driver ...etc... some open source
> programmers hate proprietary drives... something along that end. I
> recently had surgery and was having trouble paying attention. ABRT also
> no longer seems to function, and I have updated to the latest kernel and
> video drivers.
>
> Where do I look for log entries to enable troubleshooting, and has
> anybody else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

If it's truly locked up, you may have issues. If an "ALT-F2" brings up
a console screen, as root try to look at the output of "dmesg" and
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you have to reboot, then you really only have
the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (which should be the X log for the previous
boot).

I also have to use a proprietary nVidia driver on F19 as the nouveau
driver seizes up nastily on my hardware (an nVidia G86 [Quadro NVS
290] built into my Dell T3400).