F20 cursor invisible

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Feb 7 21:37:03 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 11:00 AM, Beartooth issued this missive:
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 14:20:17 +0200, Ahmad Samir wrote:
> 	[....]
>>>
>>>          I tried that, at long long last (working without a mouse cursor
>>> is like swimming in icy-cold molasses); but once dconf-editor was open,
>>> I couldn't find a file for it to edit that affected the mouse.
>>>

>> In dconf-editor on the left side you should see the schemas groups,
>> expand org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor to see the settings
>> mentioned in the above bug report.
>
> 	I looked again, long and thoroughly, clicking on little arrows to
> expand things, and never even found Groups.
>
> 	I get this as user :
> [btth at Hbsk3 ~]$ dconf-editor &
> [1] 12218
> [btth at Hbsk3 ~]$
> ** (dconf-editor:12218): WARNING **: dconf-schema.vala:330: Unknown
> property on <schema>, extends
>
> 	(It puts the cursor on the next line (blank), but doesn't give me
> my prompt back till I hit ^C.)
>
> 	While I was at it, I also tried the same command as root -- and
> saw nothing any different.
>

>> Alternatively you could use gsettings in terminal:
>> gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false
>
> 	That did help, and I'm a lot happier than I was -- I have a
> visible cursor again. Many, many thanks!
>
> 	It's tiny, despite being set to size 48, but it is there. Now if
> only I can get to whatever governs its size, color, etc. ...

Probably not clear. As root, run dconf-editor. The left pane will
probably contain a list of stuff like:

	> apps
	> ca
	> desktop
	> org
	> system

There may be some others, too. Anyway, click on the arrow to the left
of "org". Below that, click the arrow to the left of "gnome". Below
that, click the arrow to the left of "settings-daemon". Below that,
click the arrow to the left of "plugins", then click on "cursor". In
normal menu parlance:

	org -> gnome -> settings-daemon -> plugins -> cursor

Hope that helps you find it.