F20 Updates or yum broken?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:32:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:47:19 +1030, Tim wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 19 February 2014, Dan Irwin sent:
> > This morning while running yum update -y I noticed some problems...
>
> That's the kind of reasons why I don't do "yum update -y".  You lose the
> ability to stop problems *before* they happen.

Well, a "yum update -y" that runs into depsolving problems or transaction
check errors would terminate early, too. And for a "yum update" that
doesn't notice any problems prior to reaching the Y/N prompt, you cannot
predict whether there will be scriptlet errors later on. Such as those
caused by the bad selinux-policy update:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F20_bugs#RPM_scriptlets_fail_during_updates

The Y/N prompt is only helpful when you want to verify which packages will
be installed or removed.