Apple Air-Print on Cups

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 15:13:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 09:58 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 02/19/2014 09:41 AM, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > I am a bit lost. Has anyone got this working on a Fedora machine?
>

> the HL-2170w should stand alone, Fedora shouls not have anything to do
> with the Apple Mac's printing.
>
> I have two Brother laser printers here, one is an HL-2170w and I have
> the only Fedora system in the house, all the other stuff is Apple and
> they all print to my printers, mainly the 2170 since it is the newest
> and produces the best copy for them. I don't know off the top of my head
> how to set up a printer on a Mac but the other family members are
> typical Mac users and have no trouble finding my printer. I did tell
> them the name, HL2170w and the address, in my case I gave it 102.158.1.5.
>
> Hope that helps a little,
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob...

No, the printer works just fine as a network printer. If I had a Mac I'm
sure I would have no problem connecting to it and printing.

What I'm trying to do is to use the printer as an "AirPrint" printer
that can be used with an iPad or iPhone. You cannot install printer
drivers on these devices and so they can only print to certain printers
that are sold as AirPrint compatible devices. However, it seems that by
tweaking Cups you can fool them into being able to print to any printer
that is a shared printer on Cups. I just can quite work out how to do
it...

Anyone?