F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Fri Jan 3 11:49:18 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 12:35 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> You talked about home servers and I pointed out that this change was
> done only on the desktop live image.  Instead of acknowledging that, you
> are talking about how some people need an MTA which I don't think anyone
> has denied.  If some package that requires an MTA doesn't depend on it,
> that is a packaging bug.

Yes, instead of of discussing different levels of users, or different
levels of computer systems, I tried to point on the route problem, not
getting astray on tangents out of tangents, to steer the discussion onto
a more constructive path.

The route problem is what I wrote. That we have applications that
actually rely on mail, and that these do need an MTA to communicate with
the user.

If this is a packaging problem, it should be addressed, and it would
have been good if this had been taken care of before removing the MTA.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/