Fedora on a Dell XPS 15?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 3 13:05:48 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 02 January 2014, Ranjan Maitra sent:
> And a minor irritant: the design of the Home, PgUp, PgDn, End Buttons
> (with the arrow keys, but using the Fn button which is on the other --
> left -- end of the keyboard) is ludicrous.

While I agree that having to do key combinations for those functions is
awful, it is sensible for the modifier key to be on the other side.  If
you learn to type properly, you use both hands for two-key-combination
presses.

e.g. On a qwerty keyboard, you type capital S by pressing the right-hand
shift key with your right-hand little finger, and the S key with your
left hand.

Key combinations are really not meant to be single-handed, and some of
them are horrible contortions to attempt.  As a hint to non-typists, any
time you find it awkward to type in some two/three key combination, try
using both hands.

Considering the number of non-touch-typists that use computers, though,
it has amazed me that other keyboard layouts haven't managed to get more
attention, or newer less weird designs have cropped up.  Going back in
time, newspapers were printed out with Linotype machines that had a
keyboard designed to be typed on using just one hand.  And I've seen
them used, on a real newspaper press, somewhere around the 1970s/1980s.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.