F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jan 6 18:09:00 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 02:27 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 6:12 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But since we are bashing around about unnecessary default services, one
>> set of services that I would actually like to see removed is the NFS
>> stack (nfs, nfslock, portmap, ...). Arguably, a typical desktop OS with
>> a GUI has absolutely no need of networked file systems, especially as
>> obsolete as NFS. I've used Fedora for as long as it exists, and I've
>> never seen anyone actually use NFS in real life scenarios on a typical
>> desktop machine with a GUI. That's also got to be in the 99% of cases…

This only means your usage scenarios are very limited. Actually, all my
Linux systems have been using nfs ever since Linux supports it and ever
since I am running/administrating networks.

> NFSv4.1 is a two year old spec? It's quite current.
Correct, nfs is far from being dead or obsolete.

It's just that home-users with a Win-history commonly are not familiar
with it and that using it takes a bit of a learning curve. Once it's set
up it's very convienient, fast, reliable and useful.

> Getting rid of all the NFSv3 junk by default I think is valid.
This would mean to lock out many professional use-cases and restrict
Fedora-deployment to amateurish use-cases.

Ralf