F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Mon Jan 6 18:37:26 UTC 2014

On Jan 6, 2014 3:39 AM, "Bob Marcan" <bob.marcan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 07:48:29 +0100
> "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>
> > On 01/06/2014 07:37 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > > It's obviously a matter of opinion, not fact, as evidenced by the
lack of universal agreement by fairly reasonable people. I think email is
such amazing piles of steaming poo that my happiness is inversely
proportional to the number/rate of emails I'm getting. It simply does not
scale well. And like the phone, it too easily confuses importance and
urgency. Setting up mail rules requires duplicative effort, for each user,
even when they have very similar ideas on notification prioritization. It's
ickysauce.

> > That you despise mail is no reason to remove the MTA when applications
actually rely on an existing MTA. You can not generalize your way of doing
things to the entire community. The mail mechanics is there for a reason,
and has proven its validity for decades.

> > Lars
>
> And moving notifications to Gnome? Does everyone use Gnome?
> Should i sit all the time behind the monitor?
> I don't.
> BR, Bob
> --

Libnotify works will all the DEs I've used, and there should be - if the DE
is behaving properly - a way to make notifications persistent until
acknowledged.

That said, I don't think that the few people passionately advocating a
default MTA here have introduced anything that wasn't said in the Change
proposal discussion.  Isn't there a better use for all this energy?

--Pete