ssh difference with Fedora 20

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Jan 12 08:20:25 UTC 2014

On 12 Jan 2014 at 8:49, poma wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:49:40 +0100
From:           	poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	Re: ssh difference with Fedora 20

> On 12.01.2014 07:50, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>
> > With Fedora 20, when I ssh into other machines using plink to run
> > commands to do various things, it all works fine with one exception.
> > If the command has a reboot option, it just sits there. The remote
> > machine does reboot, but the connection doesn't close? End up having
> > to kill the process to get it to go on to the next line of the
> > script to do the next machine.
>
> $ time ssh πκεdπμ
> Last login: …
> $ systemctl reboot -i
> ==== AUTHENTICATING FOR
> org.freedesktop.login1.reboot-multiple-sessions === Authentication is
> required for rebooting the system while other users are logged in.
> Authenticating as: root Password: ==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE === $
> Connection to πκεdπμ closed by remote host. Connection to
> πκεdπμ closed.
>
> real	0m7.727s
> user	0m0.070s
> sys	0m0.013s
> $
>
> OpenSSH_6.4πἕν, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013
>

> poma

First, Thanks for the quick reply. I had done some additional testing, and it
appears that it actually was rebooting as I had thought. The log shows it
shuts down a bunch of things, but then just sits there, so the connection was
actually ending.  Had a ping running to the machine in another window, and
saw it did go down.

Now did the test with the following option. Was always connected with root
user.

plink -t 192.168.7.202 -l root -pw ********* "sync ; systemctl reboot -i "

The above did make the connection, and did actually cause a restart after
about 40 seconds as show from the ping window, and then the pings came
back after the reboot. Connecting to the machine, and checking uptime did
show the machine reboot, but the plink command was still running? It didn't
disconnect, so not clear on why that is? Would think a reboot would reset the
connection?

Did a test using timelimit to cancel the job after 30 seconds, and that worked,
but would be hard to calculate the amount of time required with tasks other
than a reboot. Might be best to just do a separate script to reboot systems,
and run the update processes without the reboot.

Again, Thanks. Didn't get the machines till Monday, so only had a week to
get it all up and running.

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA      9862789.474473   |   SETI        17244147.477070
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    15021713.129852