what's the point of filing bugs against Fedora?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jan 14 18:11:57 UTC 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 10:24 AM, "pgaltieri ." <pgaltieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm asking this question out of frustration.  What's the point of filing bugs against Fedora at bugzilla.redhat.com when the response I get is "ask up stream they can help you"?

If the bug is a packaging or dependency related bug, then use RHBZ. If it's a feature request, or broken feature that surely would affect every distro's instance of that component, then file it upstream. Often the Fedora package maintainer literally just makes sure the packaging is done correctly for Fedora.

A mechanism to push bugs upstream has been talked about on devel@ several times in the past couple years, but I guess it's non-trivial since every upstream uses a different system.

> I've done tech support for Linux for many years.  Do you know how long I would have lasted if I told one of my customers "Oh, it's a kernel bug, go ask Linus I'm sure he can help you" ?

Almost always kernel bugs should be filed on the kernel.org BZ. But because RH has quite a number of kernel developers, they also tend to keep on top of RHBZ kernel bugs also, but it really depends on what aspect of the kernel so unless it's a major bug I think will affect many users, or is a Fedora blocker or freeze exception type bug, I file them on kernel.org or actually more often than that I post the bug report on the upstream's mailing list.

Chris Murphy