f20 - Suspend not working

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 20 17:08:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-19 at 13:37 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Well this time (2nd resume after switching off external monitor), it
> came up without any gnome problems.  Pretty much a clean resume.
> Something is wrong wrt radeon and external monitor.

I don't know if we are seeing the same issue or not, but I have observed
that I can wind up in the situation where all the apps are in a single
workspace after a resume. This happens if I was running dual displays
before hibernate/suspend, but one of them is not available when I
resume. In general you can run into problems if anything about the
hardware (including connected peripherals) changes while you are
suspended/hibernated.

In my case, I have a KVM switch for the VGA connection, and an HDMI
connection also to the same monitor. The HDMI gives significantly better
video, but of course only one of my connected computers can use that
connection, the others are limited to VGA only. Sometimes I bring the
HDMI-connected desktop back up, forgetting to put the KVM switch back to
that computer (so that the computer only sees the HDMI display on
resume). In that case I end up with all the apps in a single workspace
and the display settings messed up.

--Greg