dns/dhcp client - hooks??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 22 12:38:03 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 21 January 2014, bruce sent:
> what you state/propose only works if the dhcp server/process is
> configured to accept the propogated returned name from the dhclient..

No, not really.  You have the client accept being named by the DHCP
server.  That's the best way to do it.  You really don't want some
client to be able to log in and claim to be the "printserver," or any
other vital machine name, when something else really does that role.

Having pondered further on your situation, I'm not sure that you can do
what you want without a ton of breakage.  You would have to modify each
client to individually update a DNS server, which mightn't be possible.
You couldn't just have one client update the DNS server for IPs used by
all other clients.

It'd be easier to run your own local DHCP and DNS server, and be
self-controlled, rather than depend on your existing half-useless DHCP
service.  But to do so means having isolation from your existing DHCP
server, usually by being behind NAT (which brings its own set of
problems).

Are you allowed to turn off that half-useless DHCP server, and run a
DHCP server on something else?  Just because something like a
modem/router has a DHCP server built into it doesn't mean that you have
to use it.

Another alternative - have a DNS server that's preprogrammed with fixed
names for every IP that your DHCP might dole out.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.