dns/dhcp client - hooks??

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:19:11 UTC 2014

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
> You really don't want some
> client to be able to log in and claim to be the "printserver," or any
> other vital machine name, when something else really does that role.

You don't have to allow this.  Bind will let you issue keys for doing
nsupdates.  The keys can restrict the client to be permitted to edit one
hostname and no more.

I actually have both client-side and dhcpd-side dynamic dns in place.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  The biggest advantage to
client-side dynamic dns is that I can take a laptop to a different
location and still get its current ipv4 and ipv6 addresses registered in
DNS.  With working ipv6 I can even log in to the laptop and perform
remote maintenance.

The advantage to dhcpd based updates is that it catches all the
riff-raff that one can't instrument with the client code needed for the
nsupdates.   In practice, it only gets the ipv4 addresses and the ipv6
hosts use slaac to silently assign themselves an ipv6 address.

-wolfgang