yum update took 99.99% of cpu

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 1 14:40:54 UTC 2014

Tim:
>> As far as the original poster was concerned, I was thinking that
>> getting a text file created would be less of a problem than taking a
>> screenshot, on a system where the CPU was being pegged.  It can also
>> be easier to post pasted text to a mailing list, than deal with
>> uploading and linking to an image, somewhere.

g:
> i agree, text is better than an image. tho, i believe, uploading
> to a site, then posting a link is better than paste in post or an
> attachment. especially when info is more that a few lines.

If it's just the usual 80x24 lines of text, not really an issue.  But
this is one point where a text dump can be better, a graphic dump would
only be what's shown on screen, a text dump can be a lot longer.  Though
I doubt the original poster's situation would be down to some
application 50 items down the list.

> attachments can be removed, but a paste can not. and there are too
> many who do not know how to 'chop wood' when they reply. lol.

Either can be deleted when the next person replies, trouble is that too
many do not.  It snowballs badly with long threads, wasting my bandwidth
and storage space, and thousands of others, not to mention the server
sending it to everyone.

I wish I could remove attachments.  Evolution supposedly offers the
feature, but it just delete the entire message.  I've had other clients
that could do it, before I started using Linux, but haven't seen one
since.  It can be a right pain when someone decides to email you several
megabytes of attached files, and you need to keep the mail, but don't
need to keep the files.  It really clogs things up.  You have to resort
to kludges like forwarding the message, minus the extra bits.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.