Fedora 19 - filesystems slow

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jul 2 17:36:20 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 12:49 AM, George R Goffe issued this missive:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fedora 19 system with several large 2-4TB drives attached via USB-SATA docking stations.
>
> I'm seeing a problem whereby a specific filesystem that hasn't been accessed for some time and is REALLY slow to respond to initial requests. ls -alt for example takes a substantial bit of time to respond at first but then response is acceptable after that.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what's happening and why and what I can do about it. It's like the buffers are empty and they need to be filled. Are there kernel tunable parameters that can be changed to avoid this problem?

I can think of two things:

1) The drive was spun down because of inactivity. Try looking at the
man page for "hdparm", specifically the "-B" and "-S" options.

2) Caching. If the filesystem hadn't been accessed in a while, its
contents are probably no longer cached. Don't know if you can do
anything about that.