changes made to a file are also made in his copy

angelo.moreschini at medident-sw.it angelo.moreschini at medident-sw.it
Fri Jul 4 06:04:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

I apologize for a trivial question but that's because I yet have not much experience with Linux.

I made, some time ago, a copy of the smb.conf file, for security reasons, before making to it any changes:
(cp smb.conf.original smb.conf.original.orig )

Yesterday I wanted to give a look at the contents of the old file(smb.conf.original) that I had copied; but I found that both files have the same content.

I made other changes, in order to do experiments, and I have always seen that the changes made to a file are always shown on the other file.

The command "ls -l" shows the two files are colored blue which (I think) indicates that the files are a link to each other.

Since I am convinced that I used the "cp" command; my question is:
which mistake can I have made ​​to create a  link of the file instead of a copy of it?

Thank you

Regards

Angelo