4K monitors?

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 22:48:58 UTC 2014

On 07/04/14 14:10, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 22:56:06 +0200
> poma wrote:
>
>> "Screen size: 16.0 cm x 9.0 cm (7.23 inches, aspect ratio 16/9 = 1.78)"
>> is a known issue for some of the Samsung Smart(?) TVs, so it is best to contact Samsung directly.
>
> It is not only a known issue, it is perfectly legit for Samsung
> to do that according to the CEA specs they follow. The problem
> comes from moron programmers who persist in believing that
> EDID is gospel. New crops of these programmers seem to spring
> up with great regularity.
>
> Anyway, I've thwarted them all now - I've actually provided
> an EDID that meets their expectations. Maybe they won't
> discover any way to break that :-).

I would like to pose I hope a simple question. If you desire something
different than the default computed from the EDID data, what can you do.
Unix variants have always had a configuration file with preferences that
allow one to override the default. I think you said you made your own
EDID. Where did you put it so the system pays attention. When the Gnome
display manager configures the monitor, where does it put that data?
Where in the process is the EDID read. I do not use Gnome and am looking
for a way to get back to the flexibility xorg.conf provided. When I
tried to run X -configure it referred me to "Please consult the Fedora
Project support at http://wiki.x.org" web page that described the old
xorg.conf setups. Fedora is becoming too opaque to be useful:-(