4K monitors?

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 19:29:43 UTC 2014

On 07/05/14 04:12, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 04 July 2014, don fisher sent:
>> Do you know what file the setting are maintained in? I do not use
>> Gnome and would like to be able to edit the appropriate files rather
>> than being so dependent on GUI interfaces.
>
> I have to say that there's a certain level of irony in avoiding using a
> graphical tool for configuring your graphical user interface...
>
> I'm not sure if this file works with every type of desktop:
> ~/.config/monitors.xml
>
> For system things, like GDM (the logon screen for Gnome), it goes into
> *that* thing's homespace, rather than /home/username:
>
> i.e. /var/lib/gdm/.config/monitors.xml
>
> KDM may do something similiar (it'll have a different path).
>
> The file begins like this, and may have multiple sections, if you've
> switched monitors around:
>
> <monitors version="1">
>    <configuration>
>        <clone>no</clone>
>
> If each monitor clones each other, it has "yes" in there.  Otherwise,
> "no" cloning spreads the picture across the monitors.

If you do not use the Gnome or KDE you are SOL. Why should a particular
user interface be responsible for things way below the UI level. I do a
certain kind of image processing that Gnome is entirely unsuited to.
There used to be an system-config-display, or something similar, that
you could run from the command line. Why did they feel anybody would be
served by restricting the setup to Gnome. Sounds like Apple.corp
mentality to me. You can do it, just as long as you do it my way:-(