4K monitors?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 5 23:10:45 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 05 July 2014, don fisher sent:
> If you do not use the Gnome or KDE you are SOL. Why should a
> particular user interface be responsible for things way below the UI
> level.

I'm not particularly sure that I agree that it's below that level.  It
is controlling the graphics in a way that directly suits the graphical
user interface (number of screens and their arrangement), which can
easily need to be a per-user, or per-situation, configuration.

I tend to agree regarding things like resolution.  Screen dimensions and
resolutions are fixed entities, and should be set to exactly match the
hardware involved.  For people who don't like the size of what's on the
screen, their ought to be a *SEPARATE* sizing option, one that takes
graphics and text into account.  And, no, I don't mean buggering up DPI
to false values.

These days, we have the ability to have some really high resolution
screens, and we often have digital photography that is well in excess of
the screen resolutions.  So simply playing with screen is X by Y pixels
to set things up is really inadequate.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.