why do we use systemd?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jul 6 01:56:09 UTC 2014

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:40:42 -0700
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi writes:
...snip...

> > No. We need it for all the other reasons.
> >
> > Lennarts blog host seems to be having some problem, but from google
> > cache:
> >
> > http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rm-N94-I044J:
> > 0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
> >
> > Theres tons and tons of things that systemd does well that there
> > was no way to do in the sysvinit world.
>
> What I see here is mostly stuff I don't understand. I got by just
> fine without it. So why, really, do I need it? That explanation
> appears to be missing--unless you just automatically choose the
> latest, greatest, shiny thing.

A few that I really appreciate:

If you did a 'service stop foobar' it would try and stop foobar, but if
the pid file was stale, foobar started other stuff that wasn't tied to
foobar as a parent, or any other of a number of situations I have run
into, parts of foobar would still be running. With systemd, if you stop
a unit, it's really stopped. All of it.

If you started a sysvinit service foobar and wanted to look at it's
output, you had to hope the needed info was also in a log file or kill
the service and restart it in some non standard mode to watch it's
output. With systemd/journald, ALL output is saved and easy to query.

If for some reason you had to modify a complex sysvinit script, you
then would have to merge in all changes with package updates over time.
With systemd you can use a .d directory to add/change things without
overwriting the provided systemd unit file.

Anyhow, sorry you don't like systemd...

kevin