4K monitors?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 6 10:51:47 UTC 2014

Tim:
>> I tend to agree regarding things like resolution.  Screen dimensions and
>> resolutions are fixed entities, and should be set to exactly match the
>> hardware involved.

lee:
> Many people still don't see it that way.  And in a way, they are right:
> Nobody prevents you to use 800x600 on a display which is capable of
> 1920*1200.

However, modern displays only work well at one resolution, their native
resolution.  Exact halves can work, but odd divisions do not work well.
Some of them are bloody awful.

>> So simply playing with screen is X by Y pixels to set things up is
>> really inadequate.

> When you consider screen resolutions as fixed entities, what other
> choice do you have but to set up the resolutions of your displays as X
> by Y pixels?

None, to be pedantic.  But people bodge the resolution to solve other
problems:

  The size of the fonts
  The size of the icons
  The size of graphics

Which really ought to be controlled, directly, and individually.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.