SImple amp for F20

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 7 03:24:11 UTC 2014

On 07/06/2014 10:47 PM, Doug wrote:

> [...]
>>> of which is maybe 10 Watts
>>> and would work fine. I paid $10 for it.  The next cheapest is to get
>>> a student amplifier from a commercial source.  Looking at the
>>> catalog, "Musician's Friend"
>>> for last December (the latest one I have) on the inside back cover
>>> there is a Starcaster Guitar Amplifier, "The perfect amp for
>>> beginners with 15 watts
>>> of power."  The sale price was $39.99. They claim it lists for $99
>>> MSRP. MF stock number is H96133.
>>> I don't know if this is still available, but something like this
>>> probably is. ON the page, it says, Visit *musiciansfriend.com/dealcente
>>> *(I don't actually use the little amp for guitar, I use it as a
>>> monitor for a record player. I have a 1959 Fender Bassman that I use
>>> for gigs on electric
>>> piano and guitar. Your wife should not try to actually play a gig on
>>> a little bitty amp like I have described.)
>>
>> Whatever I get has to be RF shielded.  We live 600' from a 700' FM
>> tower with 5 stations at max wattage.  A lot of unshield stuff just
>> does not work in our home (we fought the tower, but there is a 400'
>> near it that was here before the community was build up).
>>

> It's possible that a small transistorized amp will be "sort of"
> shielded--it may be enclosed in a metal box.  If you have a problem,
> there are a couple of simple
> things to try: get some snap-on ferrite shield beads. They cost about
> $2-3 each. put one or two around the AC poser cord right where it
> enters the amplifier chassis.
> Put one or two around the wires to the speaker(s). Put one or two
> around the guitar cord, just at the plug where it plugs into the amp.
> Put a couple at the other end of the
> guitar cord, where it plugs into the guitar.  Unfortunately, the next
> things require some surgery on the inside of the amplifier. If you're
> not into that sort of thing,
> you should probably try and find somebody who is, like an electronic
> tech or a radio amateur. He will experiment with some small capacitors
> at judiciously selected
> point, like right at the input jack, and right where the speaker wires
> exit the chassis, and probably from the AC power line inputs to
> chassis, where the lines come into the chassis.
> At the speaker wires and the AC lines, I'd start with 1000pF. That's
> likely too big for the guitar input port, so maybe 100pF at that
> point--you'd have to listen and see
> if it louses up the treble.  There are also some small ferrite toroids
> that could be installed on some wires inside the amp. That would
> involve unsoldering the wire, slipping the
> core over the wire, and soldering it back.  Killing RFI is as much art
> as it is science, so some trial and error is to be expected!
> If you install all the suggested fixes and it works, try removing one
> at a time, and see if that's the sensitive point. If you see no
> difference, you might as well save that ferrite

Familiar with this stuff, though haven't done it for around 50 years!
My cousin was one of the orginal GE programers (multecs or however it is
spelt :) ) and taught me a lot about the  magic of ferrite toroids.

> Another idea: play in the basement, if you have one!

We do, but the piano (Mason/Hamlin 50" Studio) is in the living room.
She does not like to play down there.

thanks for the help!