SImple amp for F20

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 07:56:42 UTC 2014

On 7 July 2014 00:33, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for a simple amplifer program.
>>
>> I have looked at audacity, but I would have to be 'recording' to get
>> 'playthrough'.  There is supposedly a .vst plugin, but I have not found it
>> yet.
>>
>> This is for my wife to be able to have a simple amp (using my little Asus
>> Eee900) for when she is playing her guitar and needs a bit of a boost.
>
> To echo the microphone jack through your speakers, you can run this on
> the command line:
>
> pactl load-module module-loopback latency_msec=1
>
> When you're done, disable it with:
>
> pactl unload-module $(pactl list short | grep latency_msec=1 | awk '{print $1}')
>
> For electric guitars, there's also Guitarix (available in the repos)
> which simulates a tube amp and provides distortion and other effects.

I never got pulse loopback running without latency, though haven't
tried it for a while. This is an old version of the jack setup I use
for passthrough:

http://epenguin.imalone.co.uk/2011/10/jack-for-audio-passthrough-on-fedora-15.html

- it's worth noting that if you're using the same audio device for
microphone and output then there may well be a mixer control that
enables pass through in hardware which has the lowest latency you can
achieve.

The advantage of using a Jack setup is you can run an amplifier
simulator like Rakarrack or Guitarix and play into a an audio
workstation like Guitarix. I normally use an amp with a USB output
(lots of recent modelling amps have this: Fender Mustang, Yamaha THR,
Blackstar ID:Core), you can also use one with a line level or
headphone output, or a an instrument impedance box. I have used a
guitar straight into a laptop microphone input and it can be made to
work.
http://epenguin.imalone.co.uk/2011/11/let-right-noise-in.html

As others have said, involving a computer can be a bit risky playing
live, but for home and studio use it does expand the possibilities,
like re-amping in software
http://epenguin.imalone.co.uk/2011/12/re-amping-with-guitarix-and-ardour.html

--
imalone