Problems after replacing an ati videocard by a nvidia card (F20, both 512 MB memory)

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Mon Jul 7 10:11:22 UTC 2014

Problem description: replacing my ati video card (DVI) by a nvidia card
(DVI too) generates problems: almost unreadable (flickering) screen
during boot after some boot progress (even without rhgb), no gdm login
screen.

The primary F20 system was installed with the ati card.

Running "dracut --force" was no solution.

After investigating a little bit I saw that the grub boot-parameter
"video=1280x1024-24" was the culprit: replacing "video=1280x1024-24" by
"video=DVI-D:1280x1024-24".

Both the ati card and the nvidia card have a DVI connector.

So I can't explain this weird effect. Anybody has an explanation?

Kind regards

Joachim Backes
--

Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)