why do we use systemd?

Glenn Holmer shadowm at lyonlabs.org
Mon Jul 7 13:02:12 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 04:34 AM, lee wrote:
> The authors of systemd don't even understand what "disabled" means.

A pretty bold statement. Disabled means the same thing it does in
sysvinit: the service won't start at boot time.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#How_do_I_start.2Fstop_or_enable.2Fdisable_services.3F

> When they have all this wrongness, confusion, obfuscation and lack of
> clarity and simplicity in the documentation, how could the source of the
> program be any better?  Why should I think that the design of the
> software is any better than the documentation?  It's probably far worse.

[shrug] When I started learning systemd, I assumed that it was my
understanding that was faulty. I studied until I understood it,
beginning with the Fedora and Arch docs (which are exellent) and then
returning to the systemd documentation, which then made much more sense.

> That I don't want to read poor documentation is one thing.  That I don't
> want to read documentation to do a simple thing --- i. e. start a daemon
> --- is another.  If not systemd but sysvinit was used, I wouldn't need
> to read any documentation to achieve this because I have already read
> the documentation.

How long did it take you to learn sysvinit and shell scripting? Yes I
know, you have to learn something new now. It happens, computer
technology does not stand still.

> But no, thanks to systemd it's anything but simple to do something
> simple, and I'm forced to waste my time with reading poor documentation.

As I suggested above, you might find it a good idea to read some more
general documentation first before wading into the systemd man pages:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html

http://rhsummit.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/summit_demystifying_systemd1.pdf

And to hear it straight from Lennart Poettering:

https://access.redhat.com/videos/403833

I highly recommend watching that video from beginning to end.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)