why do we use systemd?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Mon Jul 7 23:47:44 UTC 2014

Glenn Holmer <shadowm at lyonlabs.org> writes:

> On 07/07/2014 04:34 AM, lee wrote:
>> The authors of systemd don't even understand what "disabled" means.
>
> A pretty bold statement. Disabled means the same thing it does in
> sysvinit: the service won't start at boot time.

But it might start any time later because it's not disabled when you
disable it.

> [shrug] When I started learning systemd, I assumed that it was my
> understanding that was faulty. I studied until I understood it,
> beginning with the Fedora and Arch docs (which are exellent) and then
> returning to the systemd documentation, which then made much more sense.

Shouldn't it have a documentation that makes sense when you read it?

> How long did it take you to learn sysvinit and shell scripting?

It didn't take long at all.  What you need to know about sysvinit
doesn't take much to explain, and I didn't have to learn shell scripting
for it.  The scripts are easy to read and just tell you what they do.

> Yes I know, you have to learn something new now. It happens, computer
> technology does not stand still.

I'd rather learn more perl or elisp or shell scripting than systemd.
Systemd "scripts" are exclusively useful for systemd and nothing else.
Perl, elisp and shell scripts are much more versatile and useful for
lots of different things.

>> But no, thanks to systemd it's anything but simple to do something
>> simple, and I'm forced to waste my time with reading poor documentation.
>
> As I suggested above, you might find it a good idea to read some more
> general documentation first before wading into the systemd man pages:

It would be a better idea that something else than systemd is used.

As others have pointed out, it does far more than starting things during
boot and acts like an MCP after that.  It is not a daemon but tries to
make ppl think that it is.

So far, nobody seems to have clearly shown in this discussion what the
crucial advantages of systemd are.  What reasons would I have to like
it?

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)