why do we use systemd?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jul 8 00:37:15 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 04:47 PM, lee wrote:
> Glenn Holmer<shadowm at lyonlabs.org>  writes:

>> >A pretty bold statement. Disabled means the same thing it does in
>> >sysvinit: the service won't start at boot time.
> But it might start any time later because it's not disabled when you
> disable it.

In systemd, a service that's disabled won't be directly started at boot,
but another service can still start it either at boot or later.  To keep
a service from being started by systemd under any circumstances, you
need to mask it.  I think that the idea is to make a distinction between
services that are only started when something needs them and services
that aren't started at all.